The Samsung Galaxy S default (aka stock) ROM has a good ROM but after some time the ROM become slower and slower. I will describe the steps for rooting the phone, backup the phone and install a nice cutom ROM.
I rooted a stock phone with android 2.3.3. Older versions can use this tutorial also. Newer versions maybe work.
I am not responsible when you brick your phone with this steps.
- Turn on USB debugging mode on your phone (settings > programs > enable usb debugging)
- Download and install the samsung galaxy s drivers
- Download SuperOneClick and extract it (e.g. c:\android\root\)
- Start SuperOneClick and press update
- Now click root. SuperOneClick then must download an exploit to root your phone
- After the software download the exploit close SuperOneClick
- Go to the extracted directory e.g. c:\android\root\devices\samsung\common\ and start odin.exe
- All the default settings are fine. Click on PDA then select c:\android\root\devices\samsung\gti9000\CF-Root-XW_NEE_JVH-v3.2-CWM3RFS.tar
- Start flashing
ok your phone is rooted now 🙂 Now we want to backup the phone to SD so we can always back to stock settings
- In your apps list there is a new program CWM recovery start these
- Now make a full backup
- After you have the full backup make a backup of all your contacts, sms, etc and download MyBackup root at the marked (free) and make a backup of everything you want.
ok youre phone is rooted and we have a backup. Now we can install the ROM
- Download a nice and stable ROM like Darky ROM 10.2 and put this file on the root of your SD card
- Go to the market and download DarkyROM Tool
- Now start the DarkyROM Tool go to the second tab and select all (important: delete user data must selected otherwise you get a very unstable ROM)
- Go to the first tab and select flash rom. Select the file you’ve put on the SD card and flash it
- The flashing take a minute of ten. After that the new rom is started and you think you have a new phone 🙂
- Now download MyBackup root again and restore your call recordings, sms, phone numbers etc.
Youtube video for the DarkyROM flash: